When you own your home, things are going to break and, unless you want to spend your money on visits from a neighborhood handyman, you’re going to need to fix them yourself. Luckily, you don’t need an arsenal of tools to handle most home maintenance fixes. These nine tools will cover most of your basic projects.
1. Screwdriver Set – A simple screwdriver is the ideal tool for tightening cabinet hardware, installing light switches, and cracking open the lids on metal paint cans.
2. Tape Measure – Whether you are just measuring a room for furniture placement or working on a more advanced home improvement project, a tape measure is an invaluable tool.
3. Hammer – From hanging frames in your home to building a tree house, the opportunities to use a hammer are endless.
4. Cordless drill – A cordless drill is a must-have for installing cabinets, drawer pulls, hinges, picture frames, shelves and hooks, and more. Whether it’s for do-it-yourself projects or repairs, you’ll be surprised how often a cordless drill comes in handy.
5. Adjustable Wrench – You need one to tighten and assemble all manner of appliances, plumbing fixtures, swing sets and patio furniture.
6. Drain Catches and Cleaners – Shower and bathroom sink drains are susceptible to clogs because of the daily buildup of hair and whisker clippings. You can use chemical clog removers like Drano, but they’re expensive and the lingering chemical scent is unpleasant. Instead, buy some plastic drain cleaners that can reach into the drain to pull out the clog of hair and gunk. Use drain catches to help prevent clogs before they become a problem.
7. Shop-Vac – No matter how careful you are, spills and accidents will happen and there are some tasks that just can’t be handled with paper towels or a standard vacuum.
8. Loppers – Even the minimum amount of care for your landscaping will require some loppers to remove damaged branches, vines, thick weeds, and any other unruly plants in your yard.
9. Flashlight – You’re going to want something a little more powerful than your iPhone flashlight when you’re in the crawlspace!